Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Brown Rice w/ Egg and Cabbage Recipe *

     Hopefully the title of this recipe did not scare you off :o) The meal was delicious! This was lunch today. I've found it's much easier to keep a menu planned so I always have something to make, and it cuts down on grocery costs. Usually I stick with it. Sometimes I like to go into my kitchen, look at what I have and then put something together from what sounds good. Today I decided to try something new.

     I had brown rice already made and I had been wanting to try the purple cabbage my daughter picked out from the grocery store. For some reason it sounded really good to add egg to the mix. So I chopped the head of cabbage in half, cut it up and put it to boil, adding a little salt and a little sweetener to the water. Once it reached a boil lowered it to simmer and covered it. I then scrambled 3 eggs, and then added in the rice to heat with the cooked eggs. Once the cabbage was done I strained it over an empty bowl to catch the now purple blue cabbage water. I added the cabbage to the rice and egg mix, then added some of the cabbage water to it for flavor while cooking them together. I added a bit more salt to taste and voila!


     Next time I plan to try this with green cabbage as to avoid the bluish tint it gave the food, which was highly amusing to my daughter. :o) But it was delicious! We both finished off the whole pan full. The meal was a hit and full of protein.

0 comments:

Post a Comment