Thursday, September 22, 2011

Homemade Chunky Soup


     I love making homemade soup. Not only is it simple, but I can load it up with my favorite veggies for a super nutritious meal. And I can make it in bulk! That's the really great thing - I make a big pot full and save the leftovers for lunches and dinners later on. There is a reason I save all the glass jars we end up with. :)


     This time I made a thick soup using a can of cream of mushroom soup I had in my pantry mixed with water, though I used less water than required. I used the big can, so it's double of the little ones. I also added one big tomato diced and the juices from as I cut it. I also chopped up two small potatoes and three full size carrots. I took 4 pieces of kale and ripped them apart and added them to my pot. Last I added a little salt to taste, some garlic powder and a little onion powder. I can't seem to cut onions without the crying and burning eyes so I stick the powder. I heated to medium heat for a while and then switched to lower heat when it started to boil a bit. I'm sorry I didn't keep better track of the time, I just kept an eye on the pot while washing my dishes, stirring occasionally.



     I had enough to fill two bowls for dinner, one tall glass jar which holds two servings, and 4 single smaller jars. That's a lot! This way now I have at least 6 meals from one pot. These are great on days you lack energy and want something quick, and even better on days when you are feeling a bit run down. You can add some cayenne pepper for a little kick as well, or for folks in my state - green chili. I don't add anything spicy to ours because my daughter isn't a fan of spicy stuff and I'm really not either. But again, as with any of my recipes you can tweak them to your liking! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment